Media Release Conservative Government On Firearms
POWASSIN, ON – On July 23rd, The Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Public Safety & Emergency Preparedness announced the Conservative governments plan to table what they are calling the “Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act” and the coming-into-force of an expanded Order Declaring an Amnesty Period (2014).
This Order will ensure that law-abiding owners of CZ 858 or Swiss Arms family of rifles are now able to fully use their property.
According to the Ministry News Release – this proposed act will:
- Merge the Possession Only License (POL) and the Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL);
- Restrict the ability of Chief Firearms Officers to make arbitrary decisions;
- Create a grace period at the end of the five-year license to stop people from immediately becoming criminalized for paperwork errors;
- End needless paperwork around Authorizations to Transport by making them a condition of a license;
- Require mandatory firearms safety courses for first-time gun owners; and
Strengthen firearms prohibitions for those who are convicted of domestic violence offences.